“Culinary cocktails and signature drinks are hot trends on restaurant menus this year, highlighting that more mixologists are taking a chef’s approach to beverages. We are excited to see the submissions for the 2010 Star of the Bar competition and look forward to learn how the contestants showcase their original drink recipes.”
— David Gilbert, chief operating officer, National Restaurant Association
- National Restaurant Association launches new Star of the Bar competition on YouTube™ — a nationwide search for the country’s most creative mixologist at the National Restaurant Association’s 2010 International Wine, Spirits & Beer Event (IWSB).
- Professional mixologists and amateur “bar chefs” are encouraged to submit a 90-second (or less) video of themselves preparing their original signature cocktail — utilizing at least one Bacardi product — along with its written recipe by the April 26, 2010 deadline at the Star of the Bar competition site.
- The individual who creates the most original drink in the most entertaining way will take home a $5,000 cash prize, have their cocktail featured on the menu at Rockit Bar & Grill through May, and have their recipe included in American Airline’s American Way magazine. The Star of the Bar competition is sponsored by Bacardi.
- YouTube users will cast their votes to select six semi-finalists for the Star of the Bar title through April 26, 2010. Those six individuals will be flown to Chicago on American Airlines to mix, stir and shake their signature cocktail live at IWSB on May 23. Event attendees will vote to select three finalists who will compete for the title.
- The three finalists will then compete live that evening at the official IWSB After Party at Rockit Bar & Grill, where an expert panel will select the ultimate Star of the Bar competition winner.
- No purchase is necessary. Limit one video submission per person. Contest open only to legal residents of the 50 United States, 21 years of age or older. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. View Official Contest Rules.
- The National Restaurant Association’s 2010 International Wine, Spirits & Beer Event at Chicago’s McCormick Place, held May 23-24, 2010, in conjunction with the Association’s 2010 Restaurant, Hotel-Motel Show. It is the restaurant and hospitality industry’s only forum focused exclusively on operator beverage alcohol-related needs.